Though hemorrhoids can often be treated at home, it is important to understand that they can evolve into serious health issues. Listed below are home treatments for hemorrhoids.
- Use moistened wipes or scent-free, dye-free soap to blot rectal area clean after bowel movements
- Pat area dry with a clean, absorbent towel or toilet paper
- Take pain relievers such as Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or aspirin
- Hot-and-Cold Therapy: apply ice for 10 minutes, followed by a warm compress for an additional 10 minutes
- Sitz bath: fill tub with only enough warm water to immerse anus in water
- Wear cotton underwear to avoid excessive moisture
These remedies work temporarily, but removal or surgery is often the only permanent solution for hemorrhoids. If any symptoms persist for more than one week, make an appointment with Doctor Howard Kaufman at Huntington Colorectal.